Ceillie

Ceillie was born on May 1, 1993. She was a Yorkshire Terrier and my sister owned her mother Hallie. Ceillie's full name on her papers was Little Miss Ceillie Abbu, after the Color Purple and the little monkey in a Disney film.
I loved her from the moment she was born. She had a little red patch of hair on her head when she was born and that's how I could always tell her from the rest of the litter. I could hold her in my hand when she was born.
When she was old enough, I used to shove her under the covers with me when we slept at night to cuddle. Soon she thought that was the only place she could sleep, which thwarted the men in my life her whole life long.
She never knew she was only 8 pounds. She thought she was the biggest dog on the block. She loved me and was loyal to the extreme. She loved the people I was close to as long as they were women and tolerated women she didn't know well. I can count on one hand the number of men she liked.
She always knew when I was feeling down or happy and I have never been loved more by any other creature on earth. I adored this dog. She was so soft and her greatest joy, even in her advanced years was to curl up next to a warm lap and have your hand stroke her soft coat.
She had big brown eyes and dainty paws and soft silky ears. She was very brave and very loyal.
My favorite memories involve her jumping out of my moving car to chase rabbits, greeting me everyday with every bit of excitement her body could contain, her warm tongue kissing away my tears, her little warm body curled up in bed, the first time she wore her snow boots, the time she ate a bag of weed, the time we took her on a row boat in the pacific ocean, the way she used to go hiking with me in Arizona, the way she would prance and preen when she had a haircut, the way she used to kick up her back paws to tell you she had to go out.
Ceillie and I were best friends. She was with me from when I was sixteen until I was thirty one. I shared all of my life with her. We traveled all over the United States together. She was the best dog.
Ceillie was put to sleep today. She had been very sick for some time. My grandparents had kept her for the last year and lavished attention on her and saved her from the unintentional abuse my children wanted to heap on her. They made her so comfortable and happy and she loved them well. I can't thank them enough.
Ceillie would have been fifteen years old on the first of May. She was a delightful, fiery, loyal, fun soul and I loved her very much. If you have a memory you want to share with me I would love to hear it.
Lift your glass to Ceillie! Love, A

Comments

Mari said…
I'm so sad to hear about Ceillie. Your tender memorial simultaneously brought tears to my eyes and smile to my face. A couple of memories...well, I always got a kick out of remembering the story about Ceillie peeing on Mike A.'s hand one morning when you had recently started dating! And I remember feeling so touched when Ceillie greeted me with recognition and enthusiasm when I came to visit from AZ after not seeing her for a few years! I loved Ceillie too and am happy you had such a loving, loyal little companion for so many years!!! I know the good-bye, which is connected to so many earlier chapters of your life, must be deeply felt! Sending you love--Marchelle
Elizabeth said…
So sorry for your loss.
Marcie said…
The last of Hallie's line ... I know exactly what you are feeling cousin. When I lost Tara, Andres was a year old and while it hurt so much, I remember looking into his little face as we buried Tara and feeling love in the midst of loss. Ceillie and Tara were our childhood children and will always hold a place in our hearts solidifying those days. I planted a willow tree on Tara's grave in the boys' play area. It comforts me to know she is watching them and can still be a part of our new lives. I loved the picture of Ceillie on her back getting a tummy rub! You two were lucky to have each other for so long and for such a little dog she brought great joy to so many different people--just by being. I love you.
Marcie

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday