Salmon Burgers

I've become a salmon lover. I'll admit it. I used to not like salmon unless it was sweet. I liked it with a brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce glaze and baked in the oven. That was pretty much the only way I enjoyed it. In the last few years though, I've been trying new things with salmon and loving it more and more. I have a great new poached salmon recipe that I've been dying to share with you. I'll do that soon. I've already shared my barbecue salmon recipe. The trick is to use fresh fish. I tried it once with fresh salmon and once with salmon that had been frozen and it was so much better with the fresh.
Tonight I'm making South-of-the-border Salmon Burgers. I've made them before and they are fast and easy and yummy. This recipe is very south beach friendly and would be appropriate for phase one. I got this out of the South Beach "Taste of Summer" cookbook. If you don't care as much about cutting out carbs, you could put the burgers in a whole-wheat pita.

Ingredients:
1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tsp. plus 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) head romaine, shredded
1 medium avocado, cubed
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. cayenne

Instructions:
1. In a food processor, combine salmon chunks, 2 tsp of the sour cream, mustard, chili powder, cumin, 1/8-tsp of the salt, and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper; pulse until just mixed together, 15 to 20 times. Form mixture into 4 patties about 3/4 inch thick on top of some plastic wrap.

2. Lightly coat a grill or gill pan (or non-stick frying pan) with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Grill patties until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

3. While patties are cooking, in a large bowl combine lettuce, avocado, oil, 1 tsp of the lime juice, and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Season with black pepper to taste.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup sour cream, remaining 1 tsp lime juice, cilantro and cayenne.

5. Divide salad among 4 plates and place a burger alongside. Top each burger with a dollop of the cilantro sour cream and serve.

I'm having mine tonight with a side of fresh sliced tomatoes from Uncle Larry's garden sprinkled with sea salt. Last time I served this with a side of black beans. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday