Portuguese Stew- South Beach Friendly!

Portuguese stew is my all time favorite winter dish. My mom used to make it while I was growing up and it was always delicious. It was one of the recipes I meticulously copied down when I went to college and one I always pulled out during the first cold front of the year.
Over the last year I had to give up my favorite stew because the ingredients just weren't south beach friendly. There were potatoes and ketchup and italian sausage. Then the other day I made a smoked salmon chowder from one of my south beach cookbooks where they replaced the potatoes with turnips. Would that work in my portuguese stew recipe, I wondered. I pulled out the recipe and looked it over with a new perspective. It would work! I could do it! I modified the recipe and cooked it last week. It was amazing. Delicious. Fantastic. It's such a comforting, filling, hearty dish and I can't wait to share with you the updated version. The recipe is found below.

Amber's Portuguese Stew

1/2 stick(s) butter
1 tsp olive oil
3 cup(s) canned red beans
2 cup(s) diced turnips
1 clove(s) garlic minced
1/2 cup(s) diced onion
1/2 cup(s) diced ham
1/2 cup(s) diced carrots
1/2 cup(s) diced celery
1/2 cup(s) diced bell pepper
1/2 cup(s) water
1 quart(s) tomato juice
1/2 cup(s) south beach catsup
1 dash(es) tabasco
1 bay leaf crushed
24 ounce(s) sweet Italian Turkey sausage, broken up.

Saute all diced vegetables, ham, red beans and sausage in butter and oil. Add liquids and spices and cook slowly for at least two hours. Best made a day ahead. Freezes well.

Yield: 6 servings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday