Picking ourselves Back Up






The plague had us for a while. I fell down with it last and it was horrible. It wasn't your average cold, people. This thing had me on my knees. I still can't breathe and I'm still weak and dizzy. It took our strength and our appetite and our energy and all our good humor.
Today is the first day I feel halfway human again. We missed our Broadway show on Friday because I was in bed. I missed two fantastic birthday parties on Saturday. My mother in law came in on Sunday and we made it out to a bridal shower, but that wiped me out so completely I wasn't able to take Martha up on her sweet offer of a night out with my husband.
The kids had a good weekend with their dad and grandma though. The virus is still making them cough and hack and drip, but their appetites and energy seems to be coming back roughly thirteen days later. Michael kept them all Saturday and Sunday and Martha spent some good quality time with them yesterday so I really got some good time to rest.
Sam got a new big boy bed this weekend. No more crib for us! It feels weird to fold up the crib sheets that have been in use for almost four years and know I won't use them again. He can't actually sleep in the bed yet, since it's a upper bunk bed with a ladder and slide. For now, he sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor underneath the bed. But he feels big and he's proud of it.
Davis has been an absolute horror the the last two weeks. He never gets sick and I'm glad of it because it turned him into a monster. He got in a fight with his best friend at school and hit him. He threw tantrum after tantrum in public. He was defiant and willful like it was four months ago. It was very hard to like him. (I always love him of course.)
And then today he woke up happy and cheerful and helpful again. It was such a relief for me to be able to enjoy him again. I had started to worry that his behavior was a personality trait and not a phase or situational. But relief!!! He's wonderful again.
We made our Valentines cards today. With paint and glue and stickers and markers in hand we had our special time while Sam napped and we had so much fun. He's pushing me on the porch swing right now. Makes it hard to type, but he's enjoying it and I'm enjoying him.
Michael's out of town again this week. I miss him so much when he's gone. But the boys and I will hold down the fort and make plans and get back into the swing of things. I've got a couple of playdates planned.
Here are some pictures of our weekend. XXOO, Amber

Comments

Rebecca Schwarz said…
Glad to hear you're feeling better! It was probably the flu. It has been making the rounds in Texas and the scuttlebutt was that this strain was NOT covered in this year's flu shot.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday