Summer Squash Soup

I've been working on my cookbook today and typed this recipe up. It sounded so good I decided to make it tonight. I actually made this a lot in late June when I was getting a ton of squash out of my garden. It is absolutely delicious. You can add chicken if you want to, but as it is, it is a richly flavored, dairy-free vegetarian marvel. It's simple, economical and tasty! I serve it with bread sticks or cornbread for the boys. Make it and let me know what you think.

Serves 8
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 cove garlic, peeled and crushed
4 large tomatoes, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
salt
1 c. vegetable stock
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 c. minced or julienned zucchini and yellow squash, mixed for garnish.

Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened and transparent, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, remaining vegetables, and 2 teaspoons salt, and saute until the vegetables are lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Add the stock, vinegar, fennel seeds and black pepper to the pot, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are extremely tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.

Transfer the mixture in batches, to a blender, and pulse to form a coarse puree. (I use my immersion blender and it is so fast and easy!). Return to pot and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve hot, warm, or chilled. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish each one with some of the minced zuchini and yellow squash.

Comments

Mama Deb said…
Yum! I will have to try that soon.
I'm not a big fennel person, though...is the fennel taste overpowering?
Amber said…
I don't think the fennel taste is overpowering at all. You should try it!

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday