Pasta with Swiss Chard, aisins and Almonds.

Um, I just made something awesome. Uncle Larry and Cousin Hank have been gifting me with produce from their garden. I appreciate this a lot, but it occasionally leaves me searching for a new way to use produce. Today I had already made a soup using the mustard greens he bought last week and a really tasty ratatouille from the eggplant, peppers, and squash he had gifted me with and I still had a huge pile of rainbow swiss chard staring at me. I started googling. I found the original recipe for this on epicurious. I had almonds, but I had to run over to my mom's to get the raisins. I used elbow macaroni because that's what I had. I added the cinnamon and cardamom because I thought it sounded good. You could probably get away with regular paprika and allspice if you had to, but I can't say because I didn't. I made this instead and it turned out really, really, really good. So I had to share. Enjoy! ANd let me know if you make this.
P.S. I did a lot of seriously FUN stuff this weekend. I hope to blog about it soon, before we head for New Orleans. We'll see...Michael's out of town again and I'm still fighting "overwhelmed".

Pasta with Swiss Chard, Raisins & Almonds (adapted)

1 large onion, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1 1/2 lbs Swiss chard
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds with skins
8 oz cooked, short cut pasta (such as fusili, penne, shells, farfalle, etc.), kept hot

After washing & drying the Swiss chard, remove the center ribs and slice into 1/4-inch pieces. Chop the leaves coarsely and set aside. (I actually had already thrown away the ribs, but next time I will try this)

Cook onion and chopped chard ribs with 1/4 teaspoon salt in 3 tablespoons oil in a 5- or 6-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring until softened. Sprinkle with paprika, cinnamon, and cardamom (I actually guestimated the amounts, I just shook them in.) and cook while stirring, 1 minute. Add the chopped chard leaves in batches, stirring frequently until wilted, then adding raisins and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until chard is tender, about 7 minutes. When finished, toss with pasta and another 1/2 cup pasta water and adjust seasonings.

While chard leaves are cooking, start preparing the almonds. I toasted the almonds in my toaster oven. Sprinkle almonds over pasta and chard.

Serves 6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday