Enchilada Casserole

I have a recipe for you. I made this night and everyone loved it. It was pretty easy and very tasty. I got it from the blog, Oh She Glows, which I really like. I made a few changes, (I can't help myself), but the results were delish. Let me know if you try it. XO!

Yield: One (2-quart) casserole

Ingredients:

8-ounces dry fusilli pasta (3.5 cups dry noodles or half a 16-oz package)* I used quinoa pasta, but any is fine.
1 tsp olive oil
1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I left this out because the kids are afraid of hot things)
2 bell peppers (I used 2 red), chopped
1-3 tbsp taco seasoning mix, to taste
1 can black beans (or 2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1.5-2 cups homemade enchilada sauce (see above, or use store-bought)
1/3-1/2 cup Daiya cheese (or other non-dairy cheese or regular cheese if your not allergic to dairy like I am)
1 cup chopped green onions (I left this out because I don't LOVE green onions)
salt & pepper, to taste
20 tortilla chips (about 2 handfuls), crushed
Avocado, salsa, sour cream, etc, to garnish (Davis and I made a really limey guacamole and it was really good on the casserole.)

1. Preheat oven to 350F and grab a 2-quart casserole dish. Add dry pasta to a pot of boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the pasta or it will get mushy in the casserole. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.

2. In a large skillet, sauté the chopped onion, jalapeno, and peppers in the olive oil over medium heat for about 7-8 mins.

3. Add the taco seasoning, drained and rinsed black beans and corn, and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce. After a minute, add the chopped chard. Stir well and cook for another 5 mins.

4. Stir in the cheese, pasta and chopped green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

5. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish. Scoop on the skillet mixture and spread out evenly. Spoon on the rest of the sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese and some of the crushed chips.

6. Bake for 15-20 mins at 350F until heated through. Sprinkle with crushed chips, chopped avocado, salsa, and sour cream if desired just before serving. Serve with a big green salad and nacho chips.

Note: Want a burrito filling and not a casserole? Try subbing the pasta for brown rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday