40 Clove Broccoli and Chickpeas

A recipe! It's been a while since I've put a recipe on the blog, but this one keeps coming up in our weekly dinners and it is so good and cheap and easy, I had to share it. It doesn't really call for 40 cloves of garlic, just ten smashed ones. The recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction. This is a great cookbook. I use it every single week. The pages are well worn and food splattered. Every recipe I have made out of the book has been a winner. The salads are the best and the dressings make them. I never buy salad dressings anymore because these are so delicious and healthy. But you do not get a salad recipe today. Nope, instead you get a quick, dish meal that makes my whole family go back for seconds. They were extremely disappointed that I didn't triple recipe last night when I made it. I love this recipe because I can put it together in five minutes and the clean up is minimal. Here is the recipe. It says it serves four, but these must be four, not very hungry people. I double the recipe. You can double it and still just use one 9x13 casserole pan though. It looks full when you put it in the oven, but it really cooks down. This is your veggie and your protein. The broccoli gets all brown and crunchy and the broth is amazing. You can serve this with a crusty piece of bread or over rice if you want to add in a grain.

40 Clove Broccoli & Chickpeas (Appetite for Reduction)

Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 45
Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
Broccoli - 1 pound
Garlic - 10 cloves smashed
Chickpeas - 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
Olive oil - 2 teaspoons
Cooking spray - a few sprays to coat
Lemon zest - 2 teaspoons fresh grated (any citrus will do. I've grated limes and oranges instead before. Just use what you have on hand. Just scrape the rind into the dish and toss)
Oregano - 1.5 teaspoons
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
Vegetable broth - 1 cup

Directions

Cut broccoli into pieces. (Or open bag of cut broccoli) Smash and peel the garlic. Add the broccoli, garlic and chickpeas to a 9x13 casserole dish. Add everything else except for the vegetable broth. Spray everything with some cooking spray to coat and stop from sticking. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, tossing about half way. Then add the vegetable broth and bake for another 15 minutes.

Serving Size: 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday