Sweet Potato Biscuits

When I was in New Orleans for Valentine's Day, my mother and I had the most amazing lunch at the Green Goddess. The best part of this lunch was the appetizer: huge, fluffy sweet potato biscuits. They were served with molasses in one small bowl and sweet pepper jelly in another. We were in heaven.


When we got home, my mom and I set forth to re-create this delicious biscuit. We searched the internet for similar recipe and in an afternoon, transformed my mother’s kitchen into a full scale test kitchen. We boiled and mashed sweet potatoes and got to work.


After a few failures, we had to regroup. My mom suggested returning to the old fashioned basics. She pulled out a box of Pioneer Biscuit Mix (but you can use Bisquick.) We added one and a half cups of mashed sweet potatoes. We rolled the out the biscuits, rolled them in butter melted in a pan and popped them in the oven. They came out perfect! We were thrilled. The recipe couldn’t be simpler. I bet you could even use baby food sweet potatoes if you were too lazy (er, I mean too busy) to mash and boil your own.


My family is vegan so to make this recipe vegan, I would suggest using a milk substitute, such as Almond Milk, and Earth Balance Butter. Also, some biscuit mixes contain milk, so be careful which one you choose. Recipe is as follows:


Ingredients:

3 cups Pioneer Biscuit mix (or Bisquick)

1.5 cups mashed sweet potatoes (skins removed) or 2 large sweet potatoes

add some milk or milk substitute if you need any extra moisture

3 tablespoons of butter or butter substitute



Directions:

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees

2. Stir Pioneer biscuit mix and sweet potato mash until soft dough forms. Add milk if necessary for moisture. (I didn't need any.)

3. Melt butter in coffee cup and pour onto cookie sheet.

4. Turn dough onto surface dusted with Pioneer biscuit mix. Pinch off a small amount, roll into a ball and roll ball in melted butter on cookie sheet.

5. Repeat until all dough is turned into biscuit balls.

6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown

Serve with pepper jelly and molasses.

Comments

cheris said…
They're SO YUMMY.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday