Home on the Ranch


We spent the week of fall break in Texas on the ranch. We stayed with my mama. Michael was gone the whole week in California, so it was just Mom, the boys and me. It was very peaceful.
The first two times I went home after Dad died and I moved were harder. The first time was really hard and the second, I was still pretty conflicted. I felt guilty and torn about leaving mom and my life and the ranch and my house. This time I found peace with my decision. I still love the ranch deeply. It is my roots and my childhood and my children's childhood. My mom is home for me and being with her is wonderful. But I am happy with where I live now. It is okay for me to have a place to live that I chose for myself. I love Colorado. So that was a major milestone for me to reach emotionally and it made the trip very enjoyable. I was able to truly appreciate the place without all that emotional baggage.

The kids appreciated the pool. A lot. They swam everyday except one when a cool front came in. We visited GG every day. I walked with mom around the ranch almost every day and we worked out upstairs in her gym. We built a puzzle and drank wine and talked and shared like the best friends the we are. Our week unfolded with fun adventures every day.

We spent Monday at the house and Cheris came down with the kids and they swam and played D&D and argued and made up and swam some more.

Tuesday I went and got my hair cut and then we took the kids to Michael's for Halloween decorations and Target for legos and then decorated Mimi's house. That evening we drove out to Duchman Winery to meet Lily, Manie, Jamie, and Erin for a picnic. It was so fun! That is an amazing group of ladies, so full of love and kindness and good conversation.

On Wednesday, Mom and I drove with the boys down to San Antonio for the day. We had lunch at Casa Rio on the riverwalk and then went over to the Alamo. The boys were kind of bored, but the weather was perfect and I really wanted them to visit since they are 7th or 8th generation Texan and they have never been. After the Alamo, we went across the street to the tourist attractions and let them visit the Guiness book of World Records Hall and the Tomb Rider ride. They loved it. We finally made our way over to the Mercado where Davis bought a new luchador mask, I bought biscochitos at Mi Tierra and Sam scored some churros. We came home tired, but satisfied with our day.

Thursday, I worked in the morning and then ran out to the outlet mall and got some work clothes. It was a successful trip. That afternoon we piled into the car and drove out to Lake Travis for Kade's foot ball game. This was the first football game my kids had ever seen live. It was very exciting! Kade's school has a very good football program and they were play another school with a good football program and the rivalry was intense. Kade plays defensive tackle and was wonderful! The score went back and forth and Kade's team won at the end in an amazing play. It was so fun and the weather was perfect. It was the best football I ever attended.
Martha was in Texas visiting with her girlfriends in New Braunfels, so on Friday we met her in Wimberley at the Leaning Pear for lunch. It was so nice to see her! We had a lovely lunch and then drove out with her back to Duchman as she and her friends were going to try the wine and I had to go pick up Davis's jacket, which we had left during our picnic earlier in the week. It was hard to say goodbye to her, as we miss her so much, but Sam had developed another migraine as we drove and so we had to rush him home to get some medicine in him. I can't believe we forgot to get a picture!!!
That evening I went over to BG's and had some time with my San Marcos friends. It was so nice to see them. I miss them all the time here in Colorado. Everyone was busy, but I got to see them for an hour or so and see how their babies have grown in the last six months and share some conversation.

The next day was the big Pow-wow day! We got up and put on our Indian beaded earrings and tried on moccasins and got ready to go. Tiffany was visiting and we all drove together to the Sacred Springs. We got VIP parking which was awesome and walked right in. The pow-wow has grown every year and become more and more amazing. This year was very much the best. There were tons of food vendors and we immediately stopped and got a fry bread taco. Fortified, we met Maria and she found us some seats in the main tent. There were four drum circles this year! We watched the grand entry parade and there were so many dancers! Then we watched the tots which were adorable and then it was time for the Tomblin Honor Dance. This killed me last year as it was almost another memorial for dad, but this time it was so beautiful. I am so proud of my Dad for having the vision for a Pow-wow and for continuing to support it. It is such an honor for us to continue supporting the pow-wow with the foundation and I felt Dad's spirit so strongly all around the family as we danced around the tent. Manie and Sean, Uncle Larry and Aunt Joyce, Tiffany, the boys, Stacy and Lilliana all followed Mom around the tent, participating, supporting, honoring. It was a group full of love.
We stayed for some incredible Maori dancers who sang Moana and danced and were so good. Then we watched the colorful and energetic Aztec dancers which are always fun. We shopped the various vendor tents and I bought a beautiful pair of beaded earrings with a matching bracelet and then we decided to head home.

We bought barbecue on the way and went home for a party! The family gathered at mom's house and Cheris and the kids joined us. Michael arrived from California! We ate bbq and the kids swam and we all settled in the dining room to play Mexican Train. It was such a fun evening. Rob came down after his gig and joined us and we all grew merrier and merrier and had the best time. I love my family.
Sunday morning we had to pack up and get ready to go home. Everyone headed home and we put our bags by the door, but our flight was delayed and delayed and delayed. Finally we headed to the airport and made our flight home. We got home late, but made it in time for work and school the next day so all was well. It was the very best of trips. I love being with my mama and Casa Pacifica is a vacation in itself. Fall Break in Texas for the win!

Comments

cheris said…
Thank you for letting us visit!! We miss you...

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday