A Little Grown-up Time Needed

When you have children, your life changes. We all know that. At first it changes dramatically and everybody feels it. Life is turned upside down and there are some growing pains as you change the very way that you live.
But initially, while you notice the big things, you don't realize all that is changing. It's almost as if, because the changes are so massive, that you don't understand the full spectrum of what is happening. And then you get used to the changed and altered lifestyle and it becomes normal for you.
That is all true for me. The constraints of having two small children is just part of my life. I have grown and lived within those limitations and seldom think of them. I know that people who do think of them often feel uncomfortable and unhappy and I completely understand that, but I have really embraced my role of stay at home mother and I also have been really enjoying it.
Last weekend, however, I sat down with my single, childless friend and as we chatted I begin to think of how different our life constraints are. It started when she mentioned that she always slept with ear plugs and I commented that she won't be able to do that when she has babies. A small difference, but for me, it started an avalanche. I started thinking not of the large things I've given up, but the little things.
I want to ride a roller coaster with my sweetheart and not worry about getting someone to watch the kids while I do it. I want to go out on an adventure one weekend day and not worry about having to split the day in half for nap. I want to take a nap when I'm sick or just tired and not wait until the kids are ready for nap. I want to decide at the last minute that I want to go see a movie or eat in a restaurant and go without the kids. I want to stay up late and drink and not worry that I will have to wake at six in the morning and be on and ready for the day.
That's all. Not big things, but just a few things that I really miss.
All the other stuff is okay. Having my family is so worth it to me. Wanting those things doesn't make me too sad or upset, but I did notice them and thought it worth mentioning. Do you who have children miss certain small things? Is your want a roller coaster too? Or do the big things bother you more?
I haven't been without my children for more than four hours since Sam was born. And only once ever for over a couple of hours while he was awake. I think it may be time, don't you? A weekend away to soothe those wants and fulfill me of "grown-up" time.
Of course, that won't be happening any time soon what with our upcoming move, unless you count packing and unpacking as "grown-up" time. That's okay. Soon though, and maybe you can join me. How about my birthday? Mid-March sound good? Let's work on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday