Sam and his many Words

We have reached a milestone today. Over the last month or so, Sam's language has exploded. Looking back, he is hitting a point in his language acquisition that Davis didn't hit until he was 23 months and Davis was a pretty early talker. (Let's hope Sam gets potty training down early too.)
He has too many words for me to count and he will try any word you are willing to give him. But this morning when I went in to get him from his crib, he called me Mommy. Not mama, but Mommy. I feel this one in my heart.
One of the best thing about this early language is that I get to know who Sammy is and what he is thinking. This morning as I was helping him get the last of the yogurt out of his cup, he screeched at me. "Use words.", I told him. "No help.", he told me. Okay. I got it, Mr. Independent.
And he's saying Phone now and not Fuck. In some ways this is a good thing and in some ways it's sad as we've lost a favorite parlor trick.
I can see too his need for more words. He'll be trying to tell me something and use words that I can tell he knows aren't quite right, but will work. Suddenly he is devouring the types of books that have a picture and a word. Not story books, but books that will give him more words. He wants to learn.
List of words? I'll try. Stop, hug, squeeze, tickle, kiss, all names, dance, pants, shoes, socks, night-night time, paci, baby, diaper, peepee, poop, play, slide, jump, hang, up, down, all done, off, button, help, yes, ALL animals and the sounds they make, truck, bed, mine, eat, hungry, snack, drink, water, milk, yogurt, cookie, apple, candy, muffin, waffle, pizza, pasta, quiche, cheese, bread, movie, earphones, shovel, dig, stick, grass, dog, soft-soft, hit, bubbles, go, come, hand, finger, head, shoulders, nose, eye, ear, feet, knees, tummy, ride, I wanna, too, okay, please, thank you, here you go, car, walk, house, home, color, green, blue, catch, ball, throw, chase, nanny nanny boo boo, rack, sit, hot, blow. Oh goodness, I can't tell you all of them. And we're getting at least two or three new ones a day.
It's so fun. And Davis takes credit for it all. He tells me he taught them all to Sam. And he probably did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday