Eggplant, mushroom, squash medley

I went to the farmer's market today and bought a big eggplant. I also bought some cute little squashes and a bunch of onions. I had some mushrooms left over from an abandoned dinner plan from last week. I wanted to use my vegetables, but I was tired and I didn't want to do a ton of different preparations. I found some recipes online and found one similar to this one, which I then adapted a bit. It turned out very delicious. Make this. It is south beach approved and husband approved. We had it with roasted pork loin with rosemary and garlic, but it would also be great with couscous and goat cheese, or maybe some crusty bread and fish with capers or olives. Yum.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
* 2 small zucchini or squash, cubed
* 1 small yellow onion, chopped
* 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Place eggplant, zucchini, onion and mushrooms in a 2 quart casserole dish. In a small bowl combine the tomato paste with the water, and stir in garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables and mix well.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until eggplant is tender, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary if vegetables begin to stick; however, vegetables should be fairly dry, with slightly browned edges.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Thanks for posting this. It's perfect for what's in my fridge at the moment. I may add in a red onion, too.
Amber said…
I'm so glad you're trying it! I just had the leftovers today for lunch with feta cheese and it was delicious.
Elizabeth said…
Pictures of mine are
here. I put the leftovers on a toasted English muffin with melted provolone on it, and it made a nice mock pizza.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday