Wishful Thinking


Remember, say, ten years ago when I graduated college with BFA in Musical Theatre and headed to NYC to take Broadway by storm? Well, that didn't happen.
I did okay. I did some regional theatre, got my equity card, and then followed a boy to L.A. where I did okay, got a fabulous paying job in a show in Aruba and felt optimistic! Then the show closed I went home and struggled in the L.A. musical theatre market and then the boy dumped me and I ran back home to San Marcos, TX with my tail between my legs.
Even then I didn't give up on my passion and dream. I started a musical theatre company in Austin and put every bit of myself into it for three years only to watch it struggle and fail.
That took quite a few years to get over. And while I was getting over it, I met Michael, fell in love, married him, had two babies and moved to the country.
And I'm happy. I LOVE my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't have any regrets.
But I miss performing. (I also miss you New York, but we can go there again and see fabulous shows and take the kids when they get older and the economy gets better. That can be our other home someday, maybe.) Michael and I have season tickets to the Broadway touring series that come to Austin each year and that is pretty much the only theater I see any more.
I thought about auditioning again, but I don't really want to. Michael is out of town far too often for me to be in a show and the kids still take so much of my energy.
I have a dream that in a couple of years I can push for a community theater in San Marcos and help make that happen. It's happened before, but like I said with the kids so little and Michael gone so much it's not the right time.
Right now though, I want to do a One Woman Cabaret show. I think it's doable. I could create and have it in my repertoire and perform it for a couple of nights and still experience that creative outlet and that passion without sacrificing my family life.
If you know me well, you know that I can come up with a musical theater song for almost any situation. It can be a really fun game. You throw out a topic and I'll come up with a song that works somehow.
Well I've been keeping a list in my head of songs that I could use in this one woman cabaret show for years. Good ones.
The problem is that I'm not a very good writer. I'm not funny or witty. So I need a collaborator. Someone who wants to help me a write a story and I'll come up with songs and perform it. This writer person can keep all the profits! (this is a joke since there never seems to be any profits in theater around here).
So. Any takers?

Comments

heather said…
This post made me remember our "Alleluia" days at church way back when! I SO wanted to be you and Heather singing the "leads" in "Psalty's Praise" or whatever it was! Good times! :)
Mama Deb said…
I hear ya clucking, big chicken!
I really want to get a band together, but who has time with young kids? Ahh...one day when we grow up. And if I come back to TX, maybe we can make it a two-woman cabaret :)
Kat Ogden said…
I hope you know I'd help in any way I could. xo

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday