A New Puppy


When I was sixteen, I got Ceillie. She was a little yorkie puppy and she had my heart immediately. She helped me through high school angst, traveled with me to college in Arizona, enjoyed upper west side living in New York and lived in trendy West Hollywood in L.A. She eventually accepted Michael when we moved to Austin and acknowledged the existence of the children when they came along. She was my constant companion and lap dog. She died May 2008. It was her time. It was a good thing, though extremely sad. She had been living with my grandparents because the kids were too much for her and I was too overwhelmed to keep her as safe and loved as she needed to be in her old age. I loved having a lap dog, but my lap was full of babies and yorkies are not known for their acceptance of small children.
I mourned Ceillie, but knew I didn't want another small dog right away. We attempted to adopt a young lab puppy to be friends with our older lab, but things didn't go well. Stella was beautiful and smart, but she had an appetite for killing and after catching and mutilating many small animals and leaving them in the backyard, she finally brought home pieces of a neighbors cat. We had to find Stella a new home and we did as soon as we could.
Another year has gone by. We have our fabulous lab named Henry who is six years old. He's perfect, but he's an outside dog. And we have a great outdoor mouser cat named Max. You'd think we had the perfect amount of pets. Two. Two kids and two animals- a cat and a dog. All done. Right?
But I miss having a lap dog. I miss having a sweet, soft creature snuggle with me to my heart's content. I suggested to Michael that we might consider having another child to snuggle and he immediately suggested another small dog might be a good option instead. ;)
We've done a great deal of research and finally found a breed of dog that will be great for us. We're buying a dog, but don't judge me you judgers! We already have two rescue animals, but finding a small dog of a breed that is hypo allergenic and non shedding and loves children AND is a rescue dog has proven impossible. The breed we have chosen is Havanese. We found a breeder that we like and have put a deposit down. Our new puppy was born last week and will join us in our home sometime in September. His name is Django after Django Reinhardt.
So there you go. Family of seven. Husband, wife, two kids, big dog, little dog, cat. I think we can handle it. The kids are growing up and going to school this fall and I think the timing is perfect. So far we haven't gotten a lot of positive response to our choice, but within our family unit we are all so excited. We'll see how it goes. XO, Amber

Comments

Rebecca Schwarz said…
OMG How can you not get a positive response to an adorable puppy - A PUPPY for Godsake!! You just thumb your nose at those puppy-hating nay sayers!!

-Rebecca
Amber said…
Thank you to both of you!!!
Mama Deb said…
Congrats! He's a cutie.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday