August Tirade


I hate you August.
You are hot. H-O-T. Over a hundred degrees hot. I send my children outside to play at 8 in the morning and they are begging to come back inside out of the heat at 8:30.
You are brown. Everything is brown as far as the eye can see. Brown, yellow, dry, crisp. The ground is split in cracks.
You are dry. There is no rain. I don't even remember rain. The ponds are gone, we're on water rationing.
You sit here across my 31 days of this month with your high pressure sitting directly on my face and you are sucking every bit of fun out of my days!
Vacation is over by August. School doesn't start until the end of August. We can't go outside. All the library programs are over. Can't go to the playground- we're under a heat advisory. "Don't go outside!!!", say all the news men. Okay. I'll sit in my house with my two small children and wait. And wait. Only 3 and a half weeks to go.
You are a murderer, August. You killed my garden. You burned my vegetables and sucked the ground dry. I will never forgive you.
Still waiting for August to go away.
And now Sam has a cold. He's snotty and has phlegm and is miserable and now I am stuck in my house with my sick child because I can't go indoors with him anywhere and I can't go outside with him because of YOU, August. I blame YOU! You have rendered the playgrounds useless and the bicycle rides torturous. And Sam is dropping his nap and I'll go ahead and blame August for that too.
Suck it, August!

Comments

Rebecca Schwarz said…
Don't you know summer is the new winter. Stay inside all day every day and wait for it to end. My garden - also dead. Can we skip September (for I fear it will be just like August) and go straight to October?

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday