New Orleans Fall 09






We spent four fabulous days in New Orleans this weekend. I drove the kids up to Sugar Land on Wednesday and spent the night with them helping them get settled with their Grandma and Grandpa. The next morning, I said goodbye to the kids and Michael's Uncle Roy drove me to the Houston airport. I met my parents and Michael at the gate and was feeling footloose and fancy free.
When we arrived in New Orleans, Michael surprised Mom and Dad with a limo to take us to their condo. We all enjoyed the luxury of the limo and were in great moods when we arrived. We opened a bottle of white wine, toasted and quickly unpacked. Mom and I cracked each other up when we realized that the reason the closet door wouldn't open was because neither one of us was willing to set down our wine glasses to use both hands! We ate a very late lunch at Cannons with more wine and then walked through the heat and humidity to Whole Foods so we could buy more wine and some snacky type of food. Later that evening they peeled me off the couch and away from Survivor on the television to go sit on the porch of the Columns and listen to some Latin Jazz.
The next day I slept in till 8! and then mom and I both peeked our heads out of our rooms ready to drink coffee and plan the day. We are both morning people and enjoy our mornings so much! We had a leisurely breakfast of bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon and then took the street car to buy three day passes and then on to the french quarter. Once there we headed straight to Acme Oysters to get us some raw oysters and their amazing hush puppies. After that we walked up and down Royal street and looked at gorgeous art, a fiery 82,000 dollar black opal ring that I got to try on, and bought some great dresses for mom and me and two hats and a pair of shoes for Michael. Then we headed to the Hotel monteleon for drinks at their carousel bar. We loved the bar and spent several rotations drinking Abita Fall Fest and people watching. Then we headed home to shower and change and head for our dinner reservation at Emeril's Delmonico. We were greeted by four or five waiters and led to our beautiful table where I feasted on braised pork cheek, rabbit and ricotta crepes and listened to some amazing live piano music. After that we headed for a jazz club at the Sonesta, but the band was not very good so we quickly ducked around the corner and slipped into Preservation Hall just in time for their second set. The music was fabulous but it was extremely warm in there so we left after one set and headed home. I definitely plan to go there again in slightly cooler weather.
Saturday morning we bounded out of bed and then laid around listening to the music we had picked up the day before and reading and chatting. Finally we headed out on the street car for a delicious breakfast and then the New Orleans Seafood festival in Fulton park just outside of Hurrah's. We watched a cooking demonstration by Frank Brigston and then headed into Hurrah's where we tried the slots and then watch Michael and dad play craps. It was fun, but smoky in there! After the festival we headed back to our new favorite carousel bar and did a few more rotations. Soon we headed home to clean up and rest before our fabulous dinner reservation at Cochon. Cochon was everything I hoped for. We had several small plates and loved the oven roasted oysters, meat and oyster pie, smothered squash with tomatoes and okra, spicy ribs with pickled watermelon, artichoke stuffed crabs, and much much more. The food there is amazing and highly recommend it as my so far favorite restaurant in New Orleans.
Sunday morning we woke up and packed and then headed out for a four course brunch at the Columns hotel. It was pretty good. My shrimp were underdone, but the white chocolate bread pudding with rum sauce was delicious. Then Michael and I said our goodbyes to mom and dad and headed for the airport.
I was sad to leave, but so, so anxious to see my babies! When we arrived at my in-law's house I spent a good five minutes with Sam in my lap kissing his neck and make him squeal and being kissed back. Both the boys had a great time with their grandparents and Davis was sad I was there to get him, but he was also happy to see us and they are both , very very happy to be home. They have slept long every night so far and Sam has come back totally potty trained! The kids had an amazing time. Martha and Clark took them to the firehouse, the local airport, a parade, McDonald's, and procured big wheels for each of them which they let them ride all over their culdesac. The kids loved it and are dying to go back. I'm just not sure I'll be able to leave them again. ;) I loved the freedom, but I was constantly missing them. I was torn all the time.
It was awesome all around though. Thank goodness Michael and I have the parents we do that give us such an opportunity to take such fabulous vacations. Enjoy the pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday