Busy! Music, Garden, Friends, Birthdays and More.




I've been so busy this week. I'm busy still, but I thought I'd take a few minutes to poke my head into the blogosphere and say hello. Hello!
We went to Houston last weekend to see the in-laws and celebrate some birthdays. We went to the Museum of Natural History in Sugar Land and the boys really loved it. Martha and Clark gave Davis a new game called Zingo. Both Davis and Sam love it and play it well and it became an immediate favorite. Martha took me out for a lovely spa morning and lunch for my birthday as well. It was a real treat.
This week I taught music at the kids' Montessori school. I taught on both Tuesday and Thursday and will teach again next week. I was so nervous to do it and really had stage fright on Tuesday, but it went well and I ended up really enjoying it. The kids are sweet and smart and the whole thing comes naturally to me. I'll take some pictures this week and put them up. I'm really glad I volunteered to do this. I've missed singing.
On Wednesday I planted my garden! I did it all by myself this year and it was a really big job. Right now I have lettuce, kohlrabi, sweet peas, onions already going and on Wednesday I added tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, three kinds of squash, okra, radish, chard, and melons. We got a nice rain that night and hopefully this year will be a good gardening year. It's so much work, but I really enjoy it. The kids enjoy watching things grow as well. Sam goes out every day and picks lettuce for our lunch. I make a little salad and we eat it together. it's awesome.
Thursday night we dressed up and went out on the town. We went to Clay Pit with my parents, grandparents, Fabian and Brad and had a fantastic dinner. Their food is so good there. After dinner we headed to the Long Center for an evening with Mandy Patinkin and Patty LuPone. They were amazing. I laughed and cried and was totally mesmerized. I listened to the Evita soundtrack on cassette in my car with both of them for so long I ruined the tape. When I heard both of them sing those songs in person I literally cried. It made me miss performing so much as well.
I am always filled with a bittersweet mix of longing and regret when I see musical theatre. I think it might have inspired me to get back in to musical theatre again. But am I too old? Too long out of the business? Too worn out? We shall see. Either way, the show was wonderful and I am so glad we got to go see it. Those two are truly a class act.
And yesterday I made Davis' birthday cake and began to prepare for his birthday party which is today! My mom came over and gave Davis a blue dinosaur costume for his birthday. He is ridiculously excited about it and plans to wear it to his birthday party. We also had a fabulous, impromptu pizza party/playdate with our wonderful friends Stacey and Chris and Elizabeth and Zach last night. It was a perfect afternoon.
Today will begin a whirl wind weekend of fun. We will have Davis' 5th birthday party, Cheris and Rob will stay in the hippie house for the weekend, Kade will be spending the night with us, and tomorrow we will head for San Antonio and the zoo. Pictures and updates of those adventures will follow.

Comments

Mama Deb said…
You are never too old to do something you love. At least this is what I keep telling myself since I still haven't gotten back to singing either. I keep telling people 'when I grow up I'm going have a band.' And one day when life is a teensy tiny bit less hectic (hahahahaha) I will!
If I ever get back to Austin, maybe you and I should create ourselves a little Broadway duo group. Though I have a strong inkling we might try to continuously upstage one another :)
Glad you're doing so well!

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday