Spring is Finally Creeping In

Spring comes later in Colorado. While Texas has been in bloom for months, we have had brown and cold and the occasional snow. But finally, over the last two weeks, spring has sprung. We've had sunny days in the 70's. The grass is turning green. I've consequently started mowing the lawn. The trees have tiny brown knobs at the ends of the branches and then, in a blink of the eye, green and white and pink peek through. The last few days full blossoms have appeared. More and more each day. Of course it has also snowed. And rained. But I feel spring coming. It is a good change.
Change is sort of the theme of the last few weeks. I feel unsettled, like things are changing, but I have no control over it. Sam's headaches ebb and flow. Some days they hurt like hell and other days he is great. Last week he had a terrible fever and exhaustion illness and they tested him for everything under the son because we had recently been out of the country, but now he is fine. Except for some days. Michael has been traveling for work. There has been standardized testing at the school so schedules have been upside down. Davis has had virtual days, Sam has stayed home since we opted him out, my classes are half or some or none at all. Teachers are waiting for contracts to be renewed and some of them aren't being renewed at all and the students and teachers alike are deeply affected.
We sent Davis off on his coming of age retreat this weekend and it was unexpectedly hard. They gave us some words to read together as families as a saying goodbye ceremony and Davis burst into tears. He does not like change either. I've attached the ceremony below so you can understand better. Michael and I each wrote a letter that I will include here as well. Davis will open it during a two hour alone time in the wilderness. I am holding him close to my heart this weekend.
We are also starting to plan our summer. Polo, summer camp, workshop, play, visits with friends, travel. Plans that may or not change at the drop of a hat if Sam's headache comes back with the intensity it did in February. We are trying to take it day by day. It is hard for me, a constant planner.
Last weekend I didn't feel well. All that pollen has made me sick with spring. But I still love it. We stayed home and gave up our Aladdin tickets. I made a photo book of Vietnam and played some ping pong with Micheal and we moved furniture up on to our deck. We went to church and just stayed close. Together.
This weekend Davis is off on his retreat. Michael and I curled up by the fire last night and watched "The Shape of Water". This morning I went to school for a big meeting and this afternoon we have cleaned the house in anticipation of hosting Catan night.
Next weekend we fly to Texas. I will be so glad to be there. I have missed Texas this spring, fiercely. I miss my friends and my home and my family and the food and the grocery store and bluebonnets and heat. We had originally planned to hang out in Austin for one night, but after some discussion, Michael and I agreed we just wanted to be on the ranch. So that is where we will be.
I am ready for spring. I will face the change. I will try to take each day as it comes. The days right now are mostly so sweet and I need to embrace that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday