Broadway Workshop NYC


On Sunday last, we got to the airport ready for Sam to fly to California to be with his grandparents and for Michael and I to fly to NYC. Sam got off just fine, but our flight to La Guardia was seriously delayed. Michael and I burned some lounge passes and went to wait out the delay in the united lounge and watch the final world cup match. After it ended we got a text that our flight was cancelled. NOOOOOOOOOO! My Broadway workshop was the following day and I did not want to miss it. In addition, we had tickets to Birdland that evening for the Django fest which was to be our special anniversary treat. It didn't matter. Flights were all booked or cancelled. Southwest idiots rebooked us for Tuesday evening- two days from then.
I frantically moved points around and lost my mind. Finally we were re booked for a flight on Monday night.
Monday evening we tried again and after multiple delays including several while sitting on the runway, we arrived in La Guardia at 2AM having missed the entire first day (of three!) of my broadway workshop.
The next morning I attended my workshop and it was absolutely wonderful. We were staying in a great suite room at the Union Square Hyatt so I took the subway to times square and then walked about 15 minutes west to the theatre where the conference was taking place. I attended a workshop with John Cariani on playwriting, had a bagel for lunch and then went back for a meeting/talk with Diana Rigg. After that I went back to the hotel to rest, but when I went outside, it was pouring down rain. There was not an uber or lyft available and no taxi and I didn't have an umbrella. I was soaked in seconds. I finally found a taxi and took a cold, wet ride across town through traffic back to our hotel. I took a long hot shower and Michael got me a robe and I took a power nap before heading back out to meet my conference group at Mean Girls at the August Wilson Theatre. I liked it, but the music was not my favorite.
The next morning the weather had cleared and it was a beautiful day. I got to the theatre with no trouble and sat down for a workshop with Leo Ash Evens on College Audition Prep. It was very good and I learned a ton. The next workshop was a great meeting with Etai Benson from the Band's visit, Will Burton from Hello Dolly and Aurelia Williams from Once on this Island. They also sang! It was great.
Then we hoofed it to Lincoln Center to watch My Fair Lady. The design was incredible, but I did not love the same old story. I wanted something new, I guess.
Then I met Michael near Lincoln Center for dinner at Bar Bouloud, which was delicious. We sat on the sidewalk and visited and it was great. Then we quickly walked to Times Square to see The Band's Visit. I absolutely loved it! I had gotten Michael a single ticket so we didn't sit together, but afterwards we all gathered by the stage for a cast talk back. The stage manager was an old Bride of mine! I had planned her wedding back in texas 13 years ago. It was so fun!
After the talk back, Michael and I joined my colleagues in a final night gathering at Sardi's. It was lots of fun. Then we ducked off to Don't Tell Mama for some cabaret and a night cap and the first part of our trip was complete.
I loved the workshop and would happily do it again. I learned so much! I am so sorry that I missed the first day, but it couldn't be helped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday