20 Year College Reunion


Last weekend, I attended my twenty year college reunion. It was absolutely magical. Tucson is amazing. I'd forgotten how much I loved it there. It is beautiful in a way that only desert can be. It is surrounded by mountains on all sides and the air is cool at night and warm in the day. We stayed at the Arizona Inn which is fabulous and retro and gorgeous and lush. It was populated by older people who had martinis before dinner and lounged by the pool with their newspapers. It has a very palm springs kind of feel. Nine of our class showed up- Jay and his wife Heather, Ralph, Jodi and Scott, Tate, Linda, Tommy, Cassie, Caryn and myself, plus Michael. We missed the few who didn't, Marchelle, Erika, Ravi, Larry, but it was still amazing to be together. Back in college we had class together M, W, and F from 8-3, then rehearsal from 5-7 and 8-11 We spent LOTS of time together. We became family. And it still felt like family. We teased and played and commisserated and were ourselves again.
The first day, Michael and I drove around to look at my old apartment and house and then we gathered at the hotel to meet the gang. We had lunch by the pool and were so loud we got sent to a private room, lol. After lunch we went to campus where our old professor met us and gave us a tour of the fine arts department. It was so crazy weird to walk through those rooms again. Not much had changed at all. Even the smells were the same. We ended up on stage of the theater and it was surreal, but good and magical. Really. I just can't describe it. Then we walked across campus to the basketball arena to see a game. Heather cracked up at me, because I had very few memories of anything other than the fine arts department on campus. I didn't remember the library or the student union, I didn't know the fight song. She asked if I actually even went to the UofA. The real answer is that because I transferred in my sophmore year, I really never had a campus life. I wish now that I did.
The game was sportsy and I had a beer and a hot dog. Then we walked back to the hotel through the cool night air. We decided to go out for dinner downtown. Downtown was also totally different than I remembered. We found a bar with a big table and sat together and teased and laughed and ate and then the old married couples went home after we attempted a terrible bar with 20 somethings wore no clothes and listened to bad music while the singles all went out dancing.
The next morning we met up for breakfast at the hotel and then went on a hike in Sabino canyon. It was gorgeous and sunny and warm and was a lovely hike. Michael and Scott and I ran back down the hill and rushed back to our private pool room to watch the Saints game while others continued to explore Tucson. Tate and Jay and Linda joined us and we all watched the game together which ended terribly for the Saints. I took a shower and pulled it together and then we all went to dinner as a large group at El Charro which was great fun. After dinner we walked downtown, made an appearance at Club Congress, stopped outside and watched the big red moon eclipse and then went across the street to sing karaoke. I had SO much fun listening to and watching my classmates sing. It was perfect to share that again too.
The next morning some people began to leave, but Jodi, Caryn, Tate, Michael, Ralph and I went to eat at the Blue Willlow for brunch before heading to the airport.
The reunion was better than anything I had hoped for. It was so good to connect with everyone again and we all planned to do it again in five years. I loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday