Growing Vocabulary


This afternoon I was sitting with Davis on his bed reading books. Sam was asleep and I was trying to have some special bonding time with Davis. We were looking through a pop up book and we were taking turns naming the objects. I pointed at the banana, which is currently his favorite food. "What is this?" I asked him. He usually won't answer because he doesn't really know how to say that word yet. Today he announced proudly, "This manamana!" I love it. Bananas are now called Manamanas in this household.
After a few more books, I said we were all done and started stacking the books back on his night stand. He got mad and stood up and knocked all the books down on me. There were a lot of books and so it hurt and I said angrily, "DAVIS! What do you say when you hurt Mommy?", he looked at me with a smile and said, "Uh, oh?". Dang it. Durn kid had me cracking up instead of teaching him manners.
Davis' new vocabulary and conversation ability brings new surprises and joys every day. Yesterday we were getting into our van and he looked over and saw a large Budget Moving Truck in the parking lot. "What's that?" he asked me. "A moving truck" I replied. He likes all kinds of trucks and knows all the names for different kinds such as big rig, dump truck, fire truck, cement truck and tractor so I thought he might like to know the specific name for this truck.
"A MOO-ing truck!", he exclaimed. He was so excited and tried to twist around to see this spectacle. I could see that in his little two year old mind that truck had to be filled with cows! I was sorry to let him down.
I love this stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday