New Orleans




We spent the weekend in New Orleans. My parents have a condo on St. Charles Street there and we were lucky enough to get to stay there.
A trip without our children had long been envisioned and planned around here. This was the weekend that my in-laws could keep them and I finally felt that the boys were old enough to be left. We chose New Orleans because we love it there, it isn't too far away, and it was in the budget.
This was our third visit to New Orleans since Katrina and it is doing much better. The nightlife was happening and the shops were open and the restaurants were busy. Best of all, for us, the streetcars were running everywhere. Yay!
Mom and Dad joined us for the weekend and we had a blast. It was so much fun. We went to Mid City Lanes Rockin' Bowl and bowled on the oldest lanes I've ever seen and danced to Zydeco music. We had drinks on the porch of the Columns Hotel. We ate brunch at the Bluebird Cafe, lunch of Muffalettas on the Mississippi, coffee and beignets at Cafe DuMond, dinner at Acme and another day at the Upperline and fine, fine wine in our very own condo.
We walked and shopped down Magazine street and strolled the French Quarter. We rocked Bourbon Street and sat in a little cafe and listened to fantastic jazz. I read an entire novel. I showered and did my hair and I didn't have to rush. I slept in. I talked and laughed and enjoyed being with my husband and my parents. I felt naked half the time and so light and so free. EVERYTHING was easier. I tried not to take a moment of it for granted.
I missed the kids, sure I did. I missed them all the time. But I knew they were in good hands and I knew how important it was to take time for myself and to show them that it's okay for parents to have a break too. You can bet I hugged and kissed and adored them when I got back though.
And the kids are up. So I have to go lavish them with love. But the pictures are up on flickr so enjoy.

Comments

Unknown said…
ah. my hometown. i miss it, truly. so glad you got to see it at its best. when i was a kid, we used to own the Columns Hotel. this was before it got fixed up and became a swingin' hot spot. sounds like a very nice time was had by all!
Amber said…
Really??? That's amazing! Did you live there? It's beautiful. Why did you sell? Our condo is one block from there and we have always admired it.
Unknown said…
i grew up in New Orleans. uptown. i left there when i came here to go to college at UT in August 1980. i'm not sure why my family sold it. it was one of several properties that we owned. another was a very large house on St. Charles Ave closer to Jackson Ave. i'm guessing that after the movie Pretty Baby was filmed at the Columns, that it got fixed up by the new owners. i think that was late-70s.
Mama Deb said…
Ahhh...that sounds fabulous. Wish I could go!

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday