Budgeting

That's what's going on around here. We've been prioritizing and getting our ducks in a row. Having a limited budget really makes you think about your choices. We've had to decide what is really important to us.
We care what we put in our bodies. We can cut our grocery bill- but only to a point. Organic dairy stays and so do whole grains and non processed foods.
We care about Davis and Sam's education. We decided to take Sam out of his MDO, even though we love it there, so we can save the money for his tuition at the Montessori school next year.
We care about travel. We will save enough to make weekend trips and possibly a summer vacation too.
Everything else is cut. We were planning a big vacation to Cancun with all our friends this fall, and now I think it isn't going to happen. I just can't conjure the money up while the market stays so far down. There's always Port A!
We've also cut down on all babysitters except for our broadway ticket series which is already paid for and no more eating out (at least not very often)! My cooking is going to get a work out this year.
I signed up for some tips to cut a thousand dollars a month. We didn't manage to cut that much, but it has made a huge difference in our budgeting. There were all sorts of places to trim once we thought it through. We also decided a lot of the things we would like to do around our house aren't necessary. And I don't go to Target anymore at all. :)
But you know, it's going to be fine. We are so lucky. I get to stay home with the kids. Michael has a good job. We have insurance and a beautiful home. I think it's good for us to trim and focus and change. This is the year of frugal living and we will do our best to have a blast anyway. I feel good. I feel lucky. I feel blessed.
XXOO, Amber

Comments

Rebecca Schwarz said…
I hear you on the budgeting this year. I'm looking into doing some dollar-saving crafting this year. You want to be one of my "product testers?"
Rebecca Schwarz said…
check out this article from one of my favorite blogs!!

http://sharonastyk.com/2009/01/22/foodie-food-storage/

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday