Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease




The kids have got it.
On Sunday night, Davis woke up crying every two hours saying his mouth and throat hurt. He did the same on Monday night and his appetite was off so I took him to the doctor Tuesday morning. He had no fever, and while our pediatrician did manage to take a throat culture it was with great effort, because ever since Davis got his stitches, he is terrified to see a doctor. He wouldn't let her look in his mouth at all. It wasn't strep and we couldn't see anything wrong, so I took him home and resumed daily life.
Wednesday, Davis still complained, but not as vigorously so I figured maybe it was some weird growing pains. Though his appetite was still not great. Then Sam started complaining that his mouth hurt. He was pointing at the swollen areas where his two year old molars are forcing their way through so I assumed he was teething. Later in the afternoon, he started running a fever. I started getting nervous, but hoped that it was just related to teething.
By Wednesday night Sam was screaming at me, but I dosed him with Motrin and hoped for the best. He woke up all night.
This morning he wouldn't eat or drink anything. And he screamed. He screamed from the moment he woke up and he screamed for three hours straight. While his mouth was open screaming, I noticed that he had white sore on his lips, mouth and back of his throat. then I checked his hands. yep, little white blisters. And then I checked his feet. White blisters there too. I checked DAvis out thoroughly, but I don't see any blisters on his hands or feet right now.
I just drove up to Austin and back while the kids watched a movie in the car because it was the only way to get Sam to stop screaming. I may have to try the opposite direction for variety this afternoon.
He's so miserable. And he won't drink anything. He hasn't had a wet diaper since last night, so we are now watching him for dehydration. He's also extremely contagious. We have to assume that Davis had it first in a much milder version, though today he seems much on the mend. He's eating and not fussing and actually being very sweet. He spent the morning reassuring Sam and reading books to him and even tried to teach him to do deep breathing and chanting.
And worse and worse- one of my best friends kept the boys at her house yesterday with her two little ones while I got my hair cut and now they might get it too. Ah, the guilt.
AND- we had plans to go with my nephew to Sea World this Saturday and Davis has been so excited and now we can't do that either.
And I can't just go dump them in the gym daycare and get away.
My poor sweet boy. I hate it when he's miserable and I can't make him feel better. I've just put him down for nap, let's all hope he can fall asleep and get some respite from the pain.
I think the answer is movies and ice cream all the way.

Comments

cheris said…
No guilt!! You didn't do anything wrong! If my kids get sick, they get sick. It happens! I mean, they can get sick from any kid at the MDO or gym... that doesn't mean I'm not going to take them places or hang out w/ friends.
Now go eat ice cream...

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday