Valentine's Day 2012




Valentine's day really sucked for me. It started well. Michael gave me vegan chocolates, the kids were in great spirits, I had helped them make cute mandala valentine's cards. I helped my grandparents with several tasks they just can't do by themselves and Michael and I had a lovely lunch together at Prik Nam Pla.
Normally when we get home from picking up the boys from school, we go through each of their valentine cards and then hang them up. This time when I got home my laptop was waiting for me, just having been delivered by the fed ex man. I was thrilled and plugged it in. Then I was horrified. When I dropped it off the "Genius" people told me I didn't need to back it up because the hard drive was fine. They said they'd put it in the notes to call me if they had to wipe the hard drive to get permission. I asked for this because I knew I hadn't backed it up since October and I wasn't sure at all where that external hard drive was now. But lo and behold, when I opened my laptop, it was completely wiped. I had lost everything. Address books, all my fundraising documents, all my emails including confirmations for travel and worst of all, all of my pictures from since before Davis was born.
I spent an hour on the phone with Apple Care and Michael swept the boys away and over to G.G. and Gramp's while I had a breakdown. I searched for external hard drive, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I was physically ill and shaking.
When they returned I tried to suck it up and make a nice Valentine's Day dinner, but I was distracted and ended up burning myself and almost ruining dinner. The forgotten bags of Valentine's were swept off the table and we ate our food. I shoved down the pain and stress and focused on the boys and making the night better. We put all their Valentine's up on the window and it was beautiful. Then Michael and I put the boys to bed and Michael poured me a glass of a fancy bottle of red wine we've been saving and put on "Midnight in Paris" on the DVD.
I woke this morning ready to search some more for the missing hard drive. Michael helped me search and after about an hour and a half, I found it in my desk drawer. I was able to download what I had saved in October except for the pictures. I have spent the rest of the day trying to put everything back on the computer, reorganizing everything and trying to find my pictures. I still feel physically sick, but I definitely feel much, much better.
I hope your valentine's day was full of love and laughter.
P.S. Davis wanted me to note that he finally lost his front tooth. It's his sixth one gone , and he got another gold dollar. He felt quite pleased with himself.

Comments

cheris said…
Uhg... I'm so sorry. What a nightmare! Can I send you all the pictures I have since I've known you? It's a lot... ;)
cwalter said…
I feel for you! I am glad some of your data was found. you can look at all we have when you come to Sugar Land. Looking forward to the weekend with the Michael Walter Family.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday