Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend in Port Aransas

We celebrated Memorial Day weekend in Port A. We drove down Friday after lunch. Friday was Samuel's last day of school and had early release at noon. I picked him up and then drove up to Davis' school and checked him out early. We drove home and while Sam ate lunch, I packed up the car. We were on the road by 1:30. We hit some rain for a while, but eventually out ran it and had a very uneventful trip down to the beach. Samuel listened to Ramona the Pest on his kindle fire and Davis listened to Hank the Cowdog. Michael worked and then we listened to a couple of Ted talks.
We arrived at the condo around 5PM. We took our stuff upstairs and unpacked the coolers and then hopped back in the car to drive to Shell's in town. We were seated right away and we had a wonderful dinner there. That restaurant is truly the best thing in Port A.
After dinner we relaxed for a while at the condo and then put the kids down for bed. Rob and Cheris and Graham and Violet arrived shortly after. They put their kids in bed and then we sat around sipping and chatting for while and stayed up late (for me.). It was a great beginning to our trip.
Both Saturday and Sunday we spent on the beach. Michael and Rob set up the EZ up early claiming us a place on the beach. We ate breakfast and let the kids play while we packed up lunches and drinks in the coolers. We hit the beach both days around 10 and stayed till 4 or so. Saturday was overcast and so windy our EZ up ripped. Michael took it into town that evening and the kite store fixed it for free! He also witnessed a bad accident that only missed him by about 30 seconds. That evening we had dinner in and put the kids to bed early as they were fried.
Sunday was gorgeous and our beach day was even more awesome. We got ice cream from the ice cream man and Cheris and I went on a long walk. The kids enjoyed setting up foot and hand massage stations and making sand balls and throwing them in buckets. Michael rode a wave all the way in and the kids boogie boarded a lot. We made dinner in again and the kids watched Peter Pan. We played Spades that evening and went to bed early.
Sunday we cleaned the condo and went into town. We hit Winton's candy store and the souvenier shop where I bought new beach nets for the kids and they picked out shells. Michael got a new floppy hat that looks great on him. Then we had lunch at Moby Dicks. We headed back out to the condo and after packing up, drove home. Traffic was a bit difficult getting off the island, but it was smooth sailing after that.
It was a wonderful weekend and we were all disappointed to have to go home. The kids are so fun and easy now and Graham and Sam and Violet and Davis all got along very well and truly enjoyed each other. I love our friends and the beach. We are so lucky.

1 comment:

cheris said...

We had soooo much fun! :)
Thank you!