New Orleans Oct. 2015


We spent a whirlwind three and a half days in New Orleans last weekend for our annual couples weekend getaway with my mom and dad. We flew out there on Thursday with Bruce (dad's caregiver). We got to the house and ran some quick errands for provisions and then mom and Michael and I went out to dinner at the Three Muses. It was so good with my favorite french fries and a wonderful band. Mom went home after supper and Michael and I cruised the outdoor market on Frenchman and then went in to hear a set and a half of Miss Sophie Lee at the Spotted Cat. She was wonderful, as usual, and we had a nice time chatting with her and the band during the breaks.
Friday Michael and I took a long walk up and down Magazine Street shopping in various little stores and having a grand time. We got back to the condo mid afternoon and had a glass of wine and a rest before we all went out for an early supper at Pesche with Gary. We ordered the whole fish two ways and had my favorite fried brussel sprouts with chili sauce and fried potatoes and a delicious grilled okra with a peanut romesco sauce. So yum. Then Bruce and Dad went back to the condo and Mom and Gary and Michael and I went out to City Park for the BBQ and Blues festival. We met up with Marcia Ball who gave us VIP wristbands and we all headed backstage to watch her concert. It was wonderful and so fun! Mom and Gary stayed for a bit and then had to head home, but Michael and I stayed till it was over and loved every minute. We danced and tried the bbq and drank the free drinks backstage. It was excellent.
Saturday we all loaded up and headed for Royal Street in the quarter. We walked down Royal and poked around in the shops and watched the street performers. Michael bought a wonderful Italian dress shirt. We stopped at Stanley's in Jackson Square for a bloody mary and then walked to the end of the French Market for fried crawfish and shrimp and more fried things. Mom and Bruce and dad went back to the condo for a rest and Michael and I puttered around some. We watched a second line go by Jackson Square and Michael got a spit shine on his shoes. We stopped in our very favorite bar in the quarter Patrick's Bar Vin for a glass of wine and watched a wedding in the courtyard.
That evening all five of us went out to Brigsten's for dinner. The house is so cute and the service wonderful. I had gumbo and a beautiful crab salad. We drank lots of wine and had a very merry time. We all went home early and I went to bed and Michael and Dad and Bruce stayed up watching a staged reading of Showboat on the television. I was cracking up at their Saturday evening in New Orleans entertainment choice.
Sunday we packed and cleaned and then Mom and Michael and I hoofed it down the street to have one more fabulous meal at Superior Seafood. I really love that restaurant. I had a bloody mary and a po boy and gumbo combo and thought it was perfect.
We had a really good trip. It was very bitter sweet as I realize this is probably the last of our annual couples getaways to New Orleans. It was hard in some places, I'll admit. Overall though, it was wonderful. New Orleans is Michael's favorite city and we love to go there and share it with my parents. We heart NOLA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday