Blizzard of 2019 and my 42nd Birthday


On Tuesday, we had a gorgeous spring day with temps in the 60's. Weather forecaster warned, however, that a bomb cyclone and blizzard was on its way. I moved the deck furniture below and covered my emerging bulbs. That evening, they cancelled schools and closed everything. The closing notices on our local news stations were in the 600s. The next morning we woke up to- rain. Just a steady rain. People started complaining on social media. But around 10AM, the rain turned to snow. A half hour after that, we got wind. The world turned white and snowy and visibility disappeared. It went on and on. Eventually our windows were covered in ice and snow and I couldn't see outside anymore. I am happy to report that our house stayed warm! and snug and cozy! I made butter beans and cornbread that morning and I was glad I did, because the power kept flickering afternoon which ruined our plans to watch a movie and would have interrupted my cooking. Instead the kids and I played monopoly for a while and then they wrestled. When the power became steady again, they played video games and I puttered around, content to be safe and warm while the storm went on and on. Finally around 7pm it died down and I went out side to try and shovel out of the wet heavy snow. It was the hardest shoveling I've ever done!
My birthday was the next day and Michael was supposed to fly home in time for that, but of course all flights were cancelled into the airport. Most roads were closed down too. While I was out shoveling with the other ladies of the neighborhood (where are all the men?), I got a text that schools were still closed the next day because of difficulty with roads and tons of schools and homes with lost power.
The next day was my birthday and we had another snow day. The sun came out and I shoveled a bit more and let the sunshine do it's work melting. My back was killing me from all that shoveling so I went to the dr and got some meds and then mostly rested. I did take a group of neighborhood kids to Target for a bit and wandered the aisles and even ran into a friend! That was my big social interaction for the day. The neighborhood kids also played a game of ticket to ride with me. I baked myself a birthday cake and Sam made me a card. I enjoyed going on facebook and interacting with all the birthday well wishers. I did some online shopping with some money my mom and in-laws had sent me. I had some birthday phone calls. That evening I treated myself to my favorite thai takeout, Udom Thai. The kids and I watched Grease that evening down in the lower living room while we ate our takeout. This was my special birthday treat as they normally would have vetoed such a movie. I had a great time watching it with them. Late that evening, as I was climbing into bed, Michael came home! He gave me lovely little gifts for my birthday and I had my family with me. It was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday