Day 5: Ketchikan

We docked early and so when the kids woke up, we were just pulling up to the pier. We were in Ketchikan! Ketichikan is a cute fishing village. My father in-law planned to go salmon fishing and Melissa and Steven had two excursions planned, but we had been there before and so had no big plans for this small town.
We had breakfast with Marchelle and then we all headed off the ship for the town. We thought of going to the big lumberjack show, but at 36 dollars a ticket, it seemed a bit much. Instead, we did a walking tour of the town. We followed the instructions on the map and found ourselves in a great little museum called the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center. It was fascinating and interactive and I learned so much about Alaska. It was a great find.

We followed the tour around the little shops and ended up on a boardwalk called Creek Street. We shopped in the many gift shops and bought quite a bit of smoked salmon. We sampled too. Delicious.

Then we headed back to the ship where we met with Martha and my nephews. The boys all played on our balcony and watched the sea planes take off. It was great fun.

That night Steven, Melissa, Michael and I had made reservations at the specialty restaurant Sabatini's onboard. The food was amazing. The best we had on the boat. There were literally about fifteen courses and plenty of wine as well. We had a very merry table. Then we waddled off to bed because the next day we would awake early in order to get out on the balcony to watch the Tracy Arm.

Comments

Kat Ogden said…
It is so odd as my family's history is so tied up in Ketchikan. Yet I've never been there and you have. :)

I miss you guys so much. I didn't forget Davis's car, I just haven't mailed it yet as I had the girls this weekend.

As you can tell from the time post, I'm having insomnia again. Sigh.

xo

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday