Snow Mountain Ranch MLK 2020


On Friday, I left school early with Sam, picked up Michael at home (who had flown back early) and our loaded car, and the dogs, and then drove and picked up Garrett early and then Davis from school and then headed up to Snow Mountain Ranch. The car was very FULL. But it was a happy car and we were looking forward to our weekend. The drive was difficult. The wind was very strong in the foothills and tried to push our car off the road. As we headed into the mountains and dark fell, the snow got very thick and the roads became more dangerous. Traffic was very slow up the switchbacks, but we stayed positive and patient and made it to Winter Park, where the snow quit and the rest of drive was easy.
Our cabin was at the very top, which I love because that means we have spectacular views and it's right at the snowshoe path. That evening I cooked dinner and we played games and settled in.
The next morning, the kids worked hard on a snowfort outside and Michael and I lazed about and read. Later we went to the craft center to paint pottery, to the Kiva to roller skate (kids) and play ping pong (Michael and me). Then we went tubing at the tubing hill before dark. We came back to the cabin and warmed up and had a quick snack and then drove to Winter Park to see the fireworks for family fest. We were running late and so as we drove up the back streets of Winter Park, we saw the first firework. We stopped the car and hopped out and watched the fireworks bloom in the night sky above the white snow in our own private area surrounded by snow banks. It was pretty amazing! We drove on into Winter Park after the fireworks and walked through the town. The kids were anxious to slide around on the ice pond and do flips into the deep snow, so Michael and I settled into a protected and slightly heated shelter to wait and watch. After about 45 minutes, we left the ski area and drove down to the town to eat dinner at Deno's. The food was amazing as expected, but it was so loud! Still we all enjoyed it. We drove back to the cabin and settled in.
The next morning, Michael and the boys went to Granby ranch to ski (Michael and Garrett) and snowboard (Davis and Sam). This was a make or break trip for Sam as he swore this was the last time he would try snowboarding as he has never enjoyed it. Luckily, he had a great time! He has decided that he does like to snowboard and wants to go again. I thank Snobahn for the lessons this fall and Garrett for his encouragement. I spent most of the day trying to book tickets for next Christmas's trip on my phone for ourselves and the family, but carved out some time for myself to take my favorite snowshoe hike up 9 mile trail to God's mailbox. I took Sookie at first, but had to double back and drop her off as she hated the deep snow and my snowshoes. She was right about the snow. It was very deep and made for very difficult climbing, even in snowshoes. I was very challenged, but I persevered and I did it! I made it to the top and mailed off my letter to my daddy. I took some pictures and then headed back down. It was a gorgeous, sunny day and was really perfect to snowshoe, despite the deep snow.
That evening, the boys all returned and went to work on their fort again, while Michael watched football and I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for everyone. It was a very relaxing evening.
The next morning we packed up and headed back down the mountain. This time it was an easy drive and we were home around noon. That was a good thing, cause Davis had a ton of homework and we had lots of laundry to do before Michael left the next morning and I went back to work.
We had a great weekend in the mountains. We love Snow Mountain Ranch every single time. It always delivers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Park Weekends

Michael is 50! (and Rosie is 1!)

Polo Weekend for Michael's Birthday